What to Do If You Find Mold
Mold is a terrifying word to many property owners. A word with the potential to cause a ton of problems. What should be done if you find or suspect mold in your home or business? Let’s start with some facts about mold.
- Mold is all over, inside and out.
- Mold spores are microscopic, floating aloft into your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture, quickly growing into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce health effects.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth, so keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
- Significant mold growth can occur in 48-72 hours.
- Mold may present a greater risk to children, the elderly, and anyone with respiratory problems.
- A strong, musty odor may indicate hidden mold behind drywall or under carpeting.
How do you know if you have mold? One of the easiest ways to identify if your property has mold damage is seeing the actual mold spores. However, this is often a sign of a larger problem and should be properly investigated by a professional. Another sign can be if you notice a bit of moldy or musty smell, which can also indicate there may be a mold issue.
It’s also a good idea to check where you know water has leaked in the past. Past flooding can also lead to mold issues, becoming a problem a long after if the initial water damage was not thoroughly dried. Be sure to check previously flooded areas for mold.
One of the first steps before remediation of your mold affected area is to stop the source. Many times, mold is from a small plumbing or roof leak. The source will need to be repaired or the mold will simply come back again and again. If you’re not sure of the moisture source, it’s best to hire a professional such as SERVPRO of St. Charles City for help.
Our technicians can inspect your home or business. SERVPRO of St. Charles City, SERVPRO of St. Peters and SERVPRO of Dardenne Prairie/Weldon Springs has the training, protective gear, and specialized equipment necessary to handle your mold problem.
We are here to help. Give SERVPRO of St. Charles City a call today: (636) 926-0033.